View Poll Results: Should stolen trade goods be split 60/40% ?

Voters
630. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

125 19.84%
  • No

505 80.16%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Should stolen trade goods be split 60/40% ?

Blast how can you know how strong will be pirate faction?
    Besides guild raids usually are from level 20 -50 when Pirate s are mostly 50!
    And as I said everyone is your enemy when you have packs, it is not just pirates!

Quote Originally Posted by PureRogue View Post
    Blast how can you know how strong will be pirate faction?
    Besides guild raids usually are from level 20 -50 when Pirate s are mostly 50!
    And as I said everyone is your enemy when you have packs, it is not just pirates!
    There is a limit to how many pirates there can be in one server so they won't be THAT much and if you want to trade beyond the sea without your guild you are either insane or you just don't mind losing the pack.

I just joined the Alpha, but this is not my first experience playing ArcheAge. One thing that started hurting ArcheAge was the shift towards more "safer" and themepark-ish style of play.

This is a sandbox. The whole point of this type of MMO is freedom to shape the world(for better or worse) within reason. This subgenre is built on Risk vs Reward. Traders should risk all their goods and the rewards should match the risk involved. Traders should look to hire protection from other players when they want to make that long and dangerous journey(or build up a strong force of their own). This is another key principle of the MMO sandbox subgenre. Players interacting with other players to overcome the virtual world problems created by another group of players. It's that sense of life that makes the world believable and helps build strong communities. On top of that it promotes emergent gameplay that outlasts any content the developers could ever hope to release.

... it seems that none of you have played or have lived in cave at first map! It does not work like that, guild will not protect you if you get jumped by larger or better group!
    You think that you are only one who is going at sea by guild?

... it seems that none of you have played or have lived in cave at first map! It does not work like that, guild will not protect you if you get jumped by larger or better group!
    You think that you are only one who is going at sea by guild?
    Thats why there is Alliances between guilds as well.

K good luck with your game!

i voted yes... but shortly after thinking that i thought what if it was where you can steal what you can get and leave what you cant get due to battle fatigue. either way its 60% you still won

So put your Guild in your ...!Any more idiotic conversations will drive me crazy.. it is like talking with wall just keep bringing up some mystical risk that does not change!

It does not change anything from perspective of risk, how many 100 % pirate get will not change the fact that you lose your pack!
    It only increase amount of gc,gold pirates get! So it is not right to call peoples who just do not what that they get such income a weakling!
    It is completely understandable that traders put allot of effort to get all things needed for delivery and they do not like the fact that someone who kills them get that all!

So put your Guild in your ...!Any more idiotic conversations will drive me crazy.. it is like talking with wall just keep bringing up some mystical risk that does not change!
    I don't agree with your statement at all. Of course this mechanic changes the inherent risk of trading. If I as a trader can lose my pack and still get almost half of its value back then why bother with security at all? The 60/40 system will lead to more people just bumrushing over the sea without much thought at all, thinking that "oh well, even if I don't make it I will still get 40% back". The amount of effort you put into a pack should be enough for you to decide not to sail the seas alone.

While I don't like the idea of griefing other players (obviously I won't play a pirate myself), I don't know if a 60/40 split is good. I don't think 100% is good for the pirate either.

How about this system below?

A trader can buy insurance on his trade. If they don't buy insurance they don't get anything. They can still buy guards and the like, but they get no insurance payoff. The price of insurance depends on where you are at and where you are going. If you change where you are going after leaving, you pay the more expensive of the options you went. Let's say you are at A, and want to go the very high risk of C, but get robbed and stop off at B or even return to A, you pay the insurance for C. If you say you are going to B but end up going to C, you end up paying the insurance for C, no trying to shortcut the costs by saying you are taking low risk but actually took a high risk. Dumping you pack/load or whatever results in full loss, and no insurance payoff if it is robbed while dumped, you get the insurance payoff only if you have it on you while you are robbed. Insurance can also very in how much you get back, want 5%, pay the smaller fee, want 15 or 20% (at best) pay the more expensive fee for that route. EDIT: To be clear, the best payout the insured gets is 20% of the value, and to get that they are paying a higher premium. The idea is to mitigate the costs of being robbed to some degree to still encourage people to take the risk, otherwise as many others pointed out, nobody will take the risk and the trade routes lose out and the pirates lose out. Without insurance they lose everything, including their ship... oh yeah, insurance pays for replacement of a lost ship (if they get lost) in terms of goods and LP to rebuild, but you have to actually spend the in game time to build it yourself.

For the pirate/robber. They get near full fenced value (more on fenced values in a bit) for a dumped load since it is basically finders keepers. However anything they get from robbery/piracy does cost more, we'll say 80 to perhaps 90% (preferred) of fenced value. Now to fenced value. You are dealing with stolen goods (or "found" goods in the case of dropped packs). So you can't sell something for the same costs it would cost in the real world (or fantasy world whatever you want to refer to it as). This works out to be a percentage of the normal value... of course this means the individual goods need tracked, which would be a more complicated thing to program into the game and may be reason to avoid it, but would be a very nice feature. NPCs have certain amounts based on location they will take for the items, other players can feel free to pay more than an NPC would... at some point the item has to be flagged as no longer stolen and resold at normal value. There has to be some risk for money launderers too though. Perhaps the only way they can sell the goods they purchased is to send it via a trade route back to the point of origin, and if it gets stolen on the way there... this makes for another class of trader, they ship stolen goods and get a percentage of the full retail value while the money launderer gets an automatic cut as well. They can't insure their loads as it is stolen goods, but their capital investment is very small and they likely are pirates themselves or have deals with pirates to keep them safe.

Of course I'm not in the game myself, so I'm not sure if stuff like this may already be there. Anyhow, in the end I don't think the initial trader should keep 40% automatically. They can get 5 to 20% back if they insured their load, depending on which insurance they got, but that insurance costs money, do they not pay the insurance and keep 100% of the profit and risk 100% of it, or do they buy the insurance to mitigate the risk?

EDIT 2: Perhaps the insurance could be a regular fee, not just per route, and take any route, get refunded a percentage of your stolen property, get stolen from a lot, insurance costs go up.

Also see post #209 (or my blog post about insurance in ArcheAge) where I added more to the idea, or more like expanded what I meant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast