View Poll Results: Should stolen trade goods be split 60/40% ?

Voters
630. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    125 19.84%
  • No

    505 80.16%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 487

Thread: Should stolen trade goods be split 60/40% ?

  1. #341
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Appleton
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanStrange View Post
    Oh yeah. Unless the trader has insurance they get 0 back period, even with insurance they only get up to 20% of the value of the shipment under my insurance plan, and that insurance costs a premium, so I'd guess most players would still just make sure they are armed and have an escort via their guild.

    Here's my question. Can pirates PK other pirates without penalty? That is, as a trader, can I make a deal with a pirate to protect me through pirate waters and that pirate be okay with a PK on another pirate with them saying "I've parlayed with this player, they are under my protection in our waters" and still protect the trader?
    Absolutely on the high seas anyone is fair game especially other pirates in my opinion lol. There is nothing more i liked doing in PK games is killing other PK's who prey.

  2. #342
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12
    My 2p on the subject, is that the higher risk trade runs are not for the feint hearted. The fact is, you try going for the big reward, and a pirate kills you and gets your trade pack, you shouldn't get any reward. You roll the dice and lose.
    If you don't like the idea of working hard to make a pack, then losing it, you should stay to the safe short lower reward runs.

    I really hope that Trion manage to keep these candyfloss changes away from the NA/EU Archeage - Korea screwed their pooch by adding all that fluffy bunny daily nonsense. Trade runs should offer the coins too, not just gold - the coins are needed for houses etc, and dangerous trade runs are a great way of getting these coins! I hope it stays that way!

  3. #343
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    'MERICA
    Posts
    2,501
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanStrange View Post
    This is actually a fair point. Though I'd still argue that 100% is a bit extreme, as I don't think the pirates are dealing with the normal repeatable traders, especially since they can't trade themselves on normal lands without risk of jail. So I'd still say a 80-90% (and given your point, perhaps more to the 90%+ range) is a fair and equitable amount. I'll have to think about this one though.
    Yeah, but that cut that pirates take would have to be self-inflicted, not mandated by the system. The goods are still worth 100% of their original value. Pirates would only make less money on stolen goods because otherwise they can't sell it to keep up with reputable traders. Forcing a 90/0 is silly. Where does the 10% go? In the ocean?

    I think traders ought to have a way of reporting stolen goods to the authorities (would be super awesome if these were actual players not just npcs), that way if the pirates get caught selling a stolen item it can be taken back / they get crime points. So it would encourage a pirate to get rid of his stolen goods as fast as possible (therefore implying he should lower his prices to get rid of it more quickly). However, he might be able to get away with it if he cuts a deal with the "authorities" or sticks to back woods trading where his stolen goods won't be noticed by those looking to report and confiscate them.

    Additionally, insurance should be handled like it is in the present American economy - completly player run with stiff premiums and a "risk" value. Eg: players who get pirated more are riskier to insure
    "Reading is optional in online games" -jahlon, contestant for best post ever.
    Find a funny bug? Share it! | I am Nomad. | Priestess of Nui keeps trying to pay me Guilda stars to get me to hang out at her place. #CrazyGirlFriend

  4. #344
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Futuza View Post
    Yeah, but that cut that pirates take would have to be self-inflicted, not mandated by the system. The goods are still worth 100% of their original value. Pirates would only make less money on stolen goods because otherwise they can't sell it to keep up with reputable traders. Forcing a 90/0 is silly. Where does the 10% go? In the ocean?

    I think traders ought to have a way of reporting stolen goods to the authorities (would be super awesome if these were actual players not just npcs), that way if the pirates get caught selling a stolen item it can be taken back / they get crime points. So it would encourage a pirate to get rid of his stolen goods as fast as possible (therefore implying he should lower his prices to get rid of it more quickly). However, he might be able to get away with it if he cuts a deal with the "authorities" or sticks to back woods trading where his stolen goods won't be noticed by those looking to report and confiscate them.

    Additionally, insurance should be handled like it is in the present American economy - completly player run with stiff premiums and a "risk" value. Eg: players who get pirated more are riskier to insure
    Not sure why you think the goods still worth 100%.
    In real life, a merchant is at risk for buying criminal items, they will also get in jail.
    Besides, the item may get damage in battle, therefore, 90/0 is not silly, and I would go 60/0, as I assume 40% of the goods are damaged.

    If you think the 10% (40%) that is gone missing should be given back to players (instead of system), maybe there can be a bounty system in the future. Having a bounty system, I wouldn't mind raise the profit for a pirate, since they are now risking their life (80/0/20). This will help raise mercenaries to balance everything: Traders -> Pirates -> Mercenaries -> Traders

  5. #345
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Indeed View Post
    Not sure why you think the goods still worth 100%.
    Because they are, as value is not a universal constant.

    In real life, a merchant is at risk for buying criminal items, they will also get in jail.
    This is already a game mechanic, and also a point in favor of all-or-nothing.

    Besides, the item may get damage in battle, therefore, 90/0 is not silly, and I would go 60/0, as I assume 40% of the goods are damaged.
    Except...you're just making that up, it's not part of the game.

    This notion of stolen goods "having less value" is also inaccurate. Stolen goods do not lose value except in cases where institutional authorities place artificial restrictions on them (e.g. I steal a car and cannot sell it to 90% of eligible buyers because the vehicle is not registered with the DMV in my name). Those of you arguing they should be worth less are arguing that we need some sort of overarching authority to register our trade goods with. I think that's taking this a bit too far for a fantasy sandbox.

  6. #346
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    218
    What about 70/30? Give the poor fella the ability to buy some more seeds?...lol
    "We cannot solve the problems we have created with the same thinking that created them." -- Albert Einstein

  7. #347
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    263
    I think traders ought to have a way of reporting stolen goods to the authorities
    They do, just not at sea, as neither faction has sovereignty over the ocean.

    they get crime points
    Also in the game, the judicial system allows player run courts.

    Additionally, insurance should be handled like it is in the present American economy - completly player run with stiff premiums and a "risk" value.
    Please no...

    The American economy handles insurance like this:

    -Insurance group/financial firm/manufacturing company starts business, invests assets into various ventures
    -The larger companies sometimes make very risky (more profitable) investments
    -If the investment does not pay off, and is large enough to cause the firm to collapse, the state steps in and uses tax money to float the firm

    Basically, we would have Trion keep the largest insurance brokers in the game afloat no matter what they did because they're too expansive and integrated into the in-game economy.

  8. #348
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, the best in the west.
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseman View Post
    What about 70/30? Give the poor fella the ability to buy some more seeds?...lol
    No. If you don't want risk then don't go across the ocean. You can take it from a safe zone to safe zone and never get ganked and STILL have enough to buy seeds until your hearts content. You don't NEED to go into war zones with trade packs to afford anything in this game. You just won't get there as quick as someone who does.

    RISK VS REWARD. No one needs to hand you anything for free.

  9. #349
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Futuza View Post
    I think traders ought to have a way of reporting stolen goods to the authorities (would be super awesome if these were actual players not just npcs), that way if the pirates get caught selling a stolen item it can be taken back / they get crime points. So it would encourage a pirate to get rid of his stolen goods as fast as possible (therefore implying he should lower his prices to get rid of it more quickly).
    As much as I love the idea of a bounty system with players being the bounty/pirate hunters, however the more proactive solution is to hire bodyguards/mercenaries. I do think pirates should run the risk of jail time for selling stolen goods on shore.

  10. #350
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    172
    60/40 is the start of a very long, and very nasty slope down towards care-bear land.

    It's an awful idea.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts