+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Archeage Team post in this thread.   Thread: Picking Quill's Brain

Picking Quill's Brain

I have another lore question for Trion's resident lore expert, Quillodon! I know that the lore as it exists right now might be inconclusive, but being that you've worked on the text in-game, I was looking for your personal thoughts on Mistsong.

So, having seen previews of Mistsong, of course we can see that it's extremely Eastern-influenced and looks quite a bit like Lutesong and Hasla. The woman who created it was, at the time of her mother's death, unborn. Her mother was a traveling performer who we first hear of in Delphinad, but her father was, of course, an Empherium Prince (...kinda). In another thread we determined that Gene looked quite a bit like modern Harani and that led me to conclude that the people of the Epherium Kingdom were proooobably Harani-looking as well. (Additional lore also says the people of Yaer and Fainvale came to form the Sallium Kingdom, which we know went on to inhabit Haranya and are what we know now as Harani.)

Anyway! My question is-- What do you think Aria was influenced by as far as the aesthetic of Mistsong is concerned? Assuming she came to life because of the raw power being pumped out of the Garden, somehow allowing her to still be born although her mother had died, and she and Gene literally just boinked like... a night or two prior... she would have been alone and reeeeaaaally far away from Delphinad (and presumably Epherium). It seems like she'd be really close to Hiramakand and would have had a greater chance of meeting and getting inspiration from the Hiram which... weren't very Far East in aesthetic as far as I can imagine. >.>;

Did she go to Epherium and live a normal life there? Did she have a childhood at all? Was she even born or is she... somehow the ghost of what could have been (since Naima couldn't have possibly given natural birth to a child being that she died before anyone could have even suspected a pregnancy). ...Did she get the ideas for super Eastern architecture from memories she derived from her father? Or...

Hell, was Epherium even Eastern looking...?

And are you allowed to gimme spoilers---? *makes grabby hands*
    ArcheAge-Roleplay.net

Wᴀɴᴅᴇʀᴇʀ ᴏɴ Wʏɴɴ
    Formerly Wanderer on Tahyang
    Lore nerd since CBT3 KR

Bump for Quill when he's back in the office.
    ArcheAge-Roleplay.net

Wᴀɴᴅᴇʀᴇʀ ᴏɴ Wʏɴɴ
    Lore nerd since CBT3 KR

3.   Click here to go to the next Archeage Team post in this thread.   #3
    Hello Wanderer!

Yes, to my knowledge Mistsong Summit is based on an Epherium-like aesthetic. As for exactly why Aria chose this look, we can't really say for sure. But considering it was designed to enthrall/entrap its victims (who mainly appear to be of Epherium/Harani descent), I'd hazard a guess that it was chosen to appeal to THEIR preferences more than hers. Most of them wander around the garden acting a little stupid, occasionally commenting on how lovely the place is, and never taking the time to wonder how long they've been there or why their friends keep disappearing.

As for Aria's "childhood," I'd have to go back and reread the translated lore to be sure. But from what I can recall she definitely isn't "born" in any natural sense. Her fledgling spirit was sustained/strengthened by the outflow of magic from the garden, alone for years at the bottom of that dark well, with only her mother's bones for company. Not a very healthy start for anyone, really--let alone a half-dead demigoddess who's been suckling on the lifeblood of the world.

Sadly, we've got practically no info on her life between taking physical form and setting up Mistsong Summit. She obviously has a soft spot for women who have been cast aside or "misused" in the same way she feels her mother was, because she takes in/shelters so many of them. And it very well could've been that she originally created the Bloodsong to only affect specific victims whom she judged unworthy. But if that was the case, her standards have grown lax with time. The Bloodsong now calls the innocent and guilty alike, leading them to their deaths at the hands of Aria and her demons.

Hope that helps!
    -Quill

EDIT: Fun bonus fact! Whatever their lives were before, many of the women Aria saved have changed dramatically in their time at Mistsong Summit. Some have studied as "courtesans," learning deadly enchantments to lure and enthrall their victims. Others became Shadow Blades; women who trained with the demon Dochul and now prowl the garden as silent assassins. So I think it's safe to say that Aria isn't the ONLY one interested in a little vengeance on the world. Her handmaidens are often just as vindictive as she is =P

Her appearance is definitely something you can meet in Lutesong, Hasla...

But I started to ask myself a different question.

Most of Auroria is in grasp of Anthalon, even when he is trapped outside our realm. I wonder why he decided to spent so much of his power on Mistmerrow and why Tahyang spent so much time in stopping him right there. The story of Mistmerrow say that Anthalon set up his bloodspires here, a figth started while the blood of firrans led by Tahyang was making Anthalon stronger. Even after thousand of years, when blood is spilled in Mistmerrow, his sorcery will re-activate and summon the undead.

What was the reason why Antalon chosen this specific place? And I dont believe its a coincidence that Mistsong Summit entrance appeared exactly here.

Mistmerrow borders with ruins of Epherium kingdom. I believe that since the expedition, until exodus of Auroria, Aria had enought time to experience life there. She definitely came into contact with humans, learned from them how to sing and dance, learned their art and architecture. And after that she simply moved home.
    EU / Retribution / Haranya / <Bratrstvo> A hladame novych hracov...
    Austeran Judge / Member of the Crimson Watch / An ordinary cat / Curator of Museum
    As a species, we are capable of love, of wonder, of staggering feats of creativity and sensitivity. Yet at the highest, global level, these are not the sentiments which rule. Large scale human history can be seen, as much as anything else, as a series of titanic dramas with the single animating principle: we will ****ing kill you.

God, I love you Quill.

Good question Orio. Looking forward to Quill's input on that as well.
    ArcheAge-Roleplay.net

Wᴀɴᴅᴇʀᴇʀ ᴏɴ Wʏɴɴ
    Lore nerd since CBT3 KR

Sorry to derail, but where is the book of lore kept for this game?
    The two places I'd thought it would be kept would be:
    http://www.trionworlds.com/archeage/en/game/lore/
    and here
    http://wiki.archeagegame.com/Lore

Are these maintained?

7.   Click here to go to the next Archeage Team post in this thread.   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ncbwilson View Post
    Sorry to derail, but where is the book of lore kept for this game?
    The two places I'd thought it would be kept would be:
    http://www.trionworlds.com/archeage/en/game/lore/
    and here
    http://wiki.archeagegame.com/Lore

Are these maintained?
    Hello ncbwilson!

The lore of ArcheAge is based on a korean book series that begins with The Fir and the Hawk (전나무와 매). But like many game/movie adaptations, I believe it diverges from the original text on some points. At Trion, the localization editors (like me!) work exclusively from the design/lore documents that XL (the game developer) provides us. This prevents us from accidentally including any book content that may have been changed/omitted, or from referencing "book lore" that conflicts with the "game lore."

http://www.trionworlds.com/archeage/en/game/lore/ was a very limited series of lore teasers that we published before AA launched, and to my knowledge they will not be continued. (At least, not in that format.) If Trion DOES decide to release more serialized lore on their website, I can assure you it will be much more in-depth.

As for http://wiki.archeagegame.com/Lore, that's just a community wiki. Anyone with a Glyph account can contribute to that website, so it's really only as trustworthy as the players who curate it.

Having worked on so much of the game text, I can answer a lot of the more basic lore questions you may have. And honestly a ton of game lore is hidden away in quests, cutscenes, and collectible books in-game. But as of right now, there is no official Trion-sponsored lore database of any kind.

Hope that answers your question!

Quote Originally Posted by Quillodon View Post
    As for http://wiki.archeagegame.com/Lore, that's just a community wiki. Anyone with a Glyph account can contribute to that website, so it's really only as trustworthy as the players who curate it.
    I ah... Recommend checking the History tab on any Wiki entries. For the record, my Wiki account is VahnDraren, so the edits to the lore page were... m-my doing. >.>; Please correct anything I've done incorrectly.

Anyway, I have another question for ya Quill. Not sure if you'll have the answer to this or not.

Why did Trion opt to call the Sallium in Nuia "serfs" instead of "slaves?" Nearly every bit of Korean lore I read about them uses a term most commonly translated to "slave," and being that they are bought, sold, and iron-branded, I really think that the implication the term "slave" holds in a Western context is way more appropriate than "serfs." Can't tell you how many times I've had to argue about the lore with other players about the horrendous treatment of the Sallium because "they're only serfs, not slaves." Was it an easier term to stomach or was there some other reasoning behind the choice?
    ArcheAge-Roleplay.net

Wᴀɴᴅᴇʀᴇʀ ᴏɴ Wʏɴɴ
    Lore nerd since CBT3 KR

9.   Click here to go to the next Archeage Team post in this thread.   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
    I have another question for ya Quill. Not sure if you'll have the answer to this or not.

Why did Trion opt to call the Sallium in Nuia "serfs" instead of "slaves?" Nearly every bit of Korean lore I read about them uses a term most commonly translated to "slave," and being that they are bought, sold, and iron-branded, I really think that the implication the term "slave" holds in a Western context is way more appropriate than "serfs." Can't tell you how many times I've had to argue about the lore with other players about the horrendous treatment of the Sallium because "they're only serfs, not slaves." Was it an easier term to stomach or was there some other reasoning behind the choice?
    You know, I've been waiting for someone to ask this question!

The Sallium descendants in Two Crowns are second-class citizens. They are denied their basic rights, beaten without repercussion, and hunted down when they attempt to escape. With very few exceptions, they are property, and they live and die at the whim of their owners.

After some rather heated debate, the localization department eventually went with "serf." But the word "slave" is very accurate in my opinion.

Hope that clarifies some things.
    -Quill

EDIT: For any roleplay-types interested in this topic, I recommend playing through the sidequests surrounding Dorothy's Farm in Halcyona. It may affect your decision if you're ever forced to pick a side in Marionople's politics.

The one thing I'd like is if someone could post pictures of the pantheon of the gods in the game to the wiki site. Another cool thing would be pictures of the major world bosses.
    Is there also a list of Evenbard books that can actually be created into books?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast