+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Archeage Team post in this thread.   Thread: 24 Hour Land Block is unacceptable

24 Hour Land Block is unacceptable

I feel like a fool for taking the merge in stride and planning my strategy based on the Official Announcement. I took the rules to be the rules, foolish mortal that I am and planned for the mail issues and sorting, etc. by moving goods and properties at significant expense, only to find, a matter of weeks before the Evolution, that you've done this oops-it's-not-what-we-said-cuz-blah-blah-blah-nonsense AGAIN.

Trion, you'll not waste any more of my time or money.
    If this remains in place, I'm done.

"Is housing unavailable for a time? Yes. For the first 24 hours, you cannot place houses. This is important for many reasons: (1) The Temporary Anypost Owl is in WorldWeaver package (mailed to you): this is because you're able to get to a mailbox, sort through your mail, organise, etc
    Reminder: You are kicked if you're AFK"

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...=1#post2632178

There is a post here which details nicely the reasons this is unacceptable, and I don't think I can improve upon it much-
    Quote Originally Posted by jahlon View Post
    In my opinion, this is the absolute worst decision to be made with the land rush. Allow me to explain.

I am considered a Land Baron. Not a huge massive Land Baron, but a Land Baron none the less. My holdings are not for personal use, over one-third of my properties are public buildings (trade-houses, apothecary house, armorer's house) all of them with +20,000 bonus proficiency. My intention is to place those buildings back on public when I get to Conviction, however, let us pretend for a moment that I had no intention on making those properties public.

So, I have the goal of getting houses in several zones on several different accounts:

Option 1: The true land zerg

You log in, you rush to where you want to be, you try to get the next account logged in and going and so forth. While you are running to your #1 priority, everyone else is running to their #1 Priority. This keeps it fair across the board where everyone gets their shot at securing their #1 cho. While I might be fighting with 2-3 people for the prime spots, Johnny Nobody who wants a non-prime spot doesn't have any fear because he's able to rush to what he calls "his prime spot" while everyone is rushing elsewhere.

Option 2: The 24 hour option

Instead of trying to get characters position as quickly as I can, I now have 24 hours to get them all pre-positioned. Operating on ping and internet connection and the ability to run multiple clients at one time vs those who have horrible lag and can only run 1, I can now nearly simultaneously places houses in 4-5 different zones at the same time and then collapse them down to the next location via guild flares. This will probably end up with people who do not get land in any of the places they want.

Also, this option allows for the Stealth Snipers to get into position, which will cause even more rage.

Finally:

Can we please stop saying one thing, only to reverse it a few weeks later.

First it was "Character Creation will be open until August 30" then it was "Ooops, character creation is now closed"

Then it was:

Now its, no other blockers, except a 24 hour window where you can't put down land.

Stop making announcements and then having to change them. Say nothing until you know exactly what is what.
    http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...=1#post2632118

Honestly it sucks but i am all for it, have you been through a merge before? or even when auroria was first launched? Majority of the people could not connect for the whole day, some quit due to it cause there was no rollback to help the people who couldn't log in to fight for land. Now there is a chance for them to fight for it, might suck but a chance. If they can't log in at first it is okay they have 24 hours to get it fixed so the majority if not everyone can log in and have a chance. Heck those people who can't log in this time around could be that land baron or you or your friends and then you or them will be crying that they can't log in and wish that they had that 24 hour in place IF they get rid of it.

I would rather have a chance then no chance at all.

I agree that this is a terrible decision.
    A merge with a land rush is never a good thing, but this actually makes it worse. At least in a "normal" land rush, everybody has to decide which spot they want most; that's an equalizing factor. If you choose wisely and act quickly, you have a good chance at getting something nice.

The lock will heavily favor multiclient-users with powerful hardware. They can now:
    1. claim large areas for themselves instantly
    2. watch several locations simultaneously, so if they get unlucky with one, they can immediately claim the next best thing
    3. possibly make a huge profit by selling their spoils to those with a slower PC

Land-blocking can now be prepared well in advance. And because it's peace almost everywhere, you can't even do anything about it. The land rush becomes nothing more than a trollish highspeed click-fest. Strategy and decision-making become obsolete. The average person won't stand a chance.

A very, very poor choice.

@ Rosemae: I understand your point, but since they are already staggering the server launches, the load on the login-server should have been acceptable, allowing most people to log in fast enough. I admire your positivity, and I hope it works out for you.
    "Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."

Oscar Wilde on ArcheAge

Why is 24 hour delay to place land a problem for you?

@Nerrivic

That might be true but then the first server to be launched can still get screwed over if it doesn't go well which i don't think they should be punished for. I mean this isn't the first time they're doing something like this and last time it still was rocky getting people logged in to where they had to postpone other servers from opening up till they fixed it.

Edit: Either way with or without the 24 hour people will always have an advantage. Either people can log in while a lot of people still can't and those people can't fight for land, or you have it where 24 hours and everyone have a fighting chance but there's still people who have better ping/multi-client. To me the second way there will be less people crying and people wanting to quit compared to the first way. This game has a lot less people compared to when auroria and the first merge happened I don't want it to get lower cause they made the same mistake 3x(4x). Yes some people might still quit but i don't think it would be nearly as much as if they did the exact same thing a 3rd(4th?) time and not learn from their lesson.

I think Jahlon and Nerrivic have stated the arguments against this late decision pretty well.

But since I may be the only person left in AA who plays one client at a time, and has a fairly modest number of properties, I don't expect much support here.

I've been playing AA since launch.
    And like I said, I was determined to take this in stride because I knew it was coming. So I prepared.
    As of the livestream, I have pretty much no chance of getting even one of my favorite spots, let alone a chance to replace what I will be losing.

and no amount of social savvy will save me

signed,
    Johnny Nobody

Agreed. Unacceptable. This was poorly conceived and Trion needs to recognize the mistake and undo this mess before merger. All this delay will do is give a huge advantage to land hackers. The cheaters will be able to get into position and snag up all the best spots. Naturally these spots will promptly be put up for sale at greatly inflated prices. And as we've seen in the past, Trion will do nothing about this.

Is housing unavailable for a time? Yes. For the first 24 hours, you cannot place houses. This is important for many reasons: (1) The Temporary Anypost Owl is in WorldWeaver package (mailed to you): this is because you're able to get to a mailbox, sort through your mail, organise, etc
    Reminder: You are kicked if you're AFK

I just read this, and this is seriously the most insane thing I've heard.

1) There are mailboxes in every housing zone. The any-post owl is good for those people who are going to rush to an island. However, lets get real here. The people who want the prime spots (islands, coast, etc) are going to have those plans in their backpack already.

2) We have time to get "organized" ? And how is that exactly? Since we won't have any chests to put our stuff into.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollolol View Post
    Why is 24 hour delay to place land a problem for you?
    For me, its not. I will be able to get all my land dropped, and then probably drop a bunch of land in other places and have it ready for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by jahlon View Post
    I just read this, and this is seriously the most insane thing I've heard.

1) There are mailboxes in every housing zone. The any-post owl is good for those people who are going to rush to an island. However, lets get real here. The people who want the prime spots (islands, coast, etc) are going to have those plans in their backpack already.
    The whole thing with the any-post owl is the height of madness.

1. You can buy it at a general merchant any time, for a whopping 3g, and keep as many of them in your bag as you want.
    2. You have to get to a mailbox to receive the glorious free owl. While you're there, you might as well get your full kits out of the mail, and later use the owl for...what exactly?

When I hear these things, I don't know wether to laugh or cry. Thank goodness this isn't my problem anymore, but my heart goes out to anyone who is "evolving". Best of luck.
    "Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."

Oscar Wilde on ArcheAge

Quote Originally Posted by Nerrivic View Post
    The whole thing with the any-post owl is the height of madness.

1. You can buy it at a general merchant any time, for a whopping 3g, and keep as many of them in your bag as you want.
    2. You have to get to a mailbox to receive the glorious free owl. While you're there, you might as well get your full kits out of the mail, and later use the owl for...what exactly?

When I hear these things, I don't know wether to laugh or cry. Thank goodness this isn't my problem anymore, but my heart goes out to anyone who is "evolving". Best of luck.
    Pretty much this.

We didn't get a free owl last time and guess what? The world did not end

"But someone might get all the way out to an island and not be able to get to their kits"

Well...maybe that person should have planned better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast