+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Archeage Team post in this thread.   Thread: Parry and Block

Parry and Block

4.5 bring a huge nerf on defense by change block and parry. So use parry and block lunagens worthless now?

I thinking to change my shield's block lunagens to Heath increase, and my Gloves from parry to Focus, so i put critical damage on 1hand weapon.

Opinions?

This is coming from someone who plays glass cannon but personally, I'd prefer block rate.

HP increase is kind of like the new thwart in that, compared to your base hp, it gives a flat damage reduction until it is gone but once it is gone it has no effect on a fight until you can get it back.

Block rate increases the chance that you will get a 60% damage reduction at any point throughout a fight and, I know this is stating the obvious, the higher your block rate the more often you can block meaning the more often you hp effectively increases by 60% of the damage you take (if my math is right).

One thing to keep in mind about block and parry is that according to the tool tip blocked or parried attacks can't be crits. Since most burst dps rely on crit I don't think block or parry are as useless as they first appear.
    Epic Erenor Scepter - 856 Magic Att, 733 gimped DPS.
    Epic Erenor Katana - 815.3 DPS.
    Epic Erenor Bow - 693 DPS... worse than the gimped weapon even though it's a primary weapon.
    "Balance" . . . This doesn't even take in to account the 978.4 epic erenor nodachi, or 978 mAtt staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Snerdles View Post
    One thing to keep in mind about block and parry is that according to the tool tip blocked or parried attacks can't be crits. Since most burst dps rely on crit I don't think block or parry are as useless as they first appear.
    U mistaken cause with consequence. Critical hits cannot be parried or blocked, that's why all block and parry damage is non-critical. Not like u block cancel critical but a critical bypass block.
    In fact block and parry is weaker now, most because the debuff is hit even if B/P process. I understand parry but IMO block should be better. 20% diference is nothing when u look what u lost, DW give hugh atk speed and dual process on weapon passives, and 2hand have much more damage AND better buff. SHield Buff is less then nothing.

I play with shield too, and have the same doubts now. But i remove parry on gloves, even if i continue with block on shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Durah View Post
    U mistaken cause with consequence. Critical hits cannot be parried or blocked, that's why all block and parry damage is non-critical. Not like u block cancel critical but a critical bypass block.
    In fact block and parry is weaker now, most because the debuff is hit even if B/P process. I understand parry but IMO block should be better. 20% diference is nothing when u look what u lost, DW give hugh atk speed and dual process on weapon passives, and 2hand have much more damage AND better buff. SHield Buff is less then nothing.

I play with shield too, and have the same doubts now. But i remove parry on gloves, even if i continue with block on shield.
    This statement is clearly not true, as skills with 100% crit rate can be blocked and parried, causing them to not crit.

So, just as a quick test I got a guildy to take a couple of blazing arrows to the face and my normal shots hit them for 1562 crit, 1501 crit, 1577 crit (all crits since blazing always crits)...

then the next time I got them to cast redoubt and I hit them for blocked 197, evaded , and blocked 189... both shots that hit were not crits even though blazing always crits.

Crits can indeed be blocked, and blocked shots don't crit... so it's a 60% reduction while also negating crit.
    Epic Erenor Scepter - 856 Magic Att, 733 gimped DPS.
    Epic Erenor Katana - 815.3 DPS.
    Epic Erenor Bow - 693 DPS... worse than the gimped weapon even though it's a primary weapon.
    "Balance" . . . This doesn't even take in to account the 978.4 epic erenor nodachi, or 978 mAtt staff.

7.   Click here to go to the next Archeage Team post in this thread.   #7
    Couple'a things that might help, here:

1) This quote from the patch notes is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT:

Quote Originally Posted by Celestrata Bloodsong View Post
    Each effect (Miss, Evasion, Shield Block, Parry, Critical Hit, Normal Hit) is calculated by their specific rate separately.
    This means that evade/block/parry are no longer additive with each other. In 4.5 a character with 50% parry and 50% block can still be hit by melee attacks, as long as the attack successfully passes both rolls.

2) This also means that the "order of mitigation" (since we can't really call it order of avoidance anymore) becomes a WAY bigger deal. Take the example above: if a character has 50% block and 50% parry, according to the order of mitigation (evade/block/parry) that means that he will be parrying FAR less that he used to. Because the game will first roll evade, then the remaining attacks will roll block, then any attacks that weren't evaded OR blocked will come up against the parry rate. This is a big difference from the additive system we had before, and is very important when considering anything that is triggered by evade, block, or parry.

3) Evade/block/parry do work vs critical hits. When i tested vs 66% pure block rate, roughly one out of 3 Blazing Arrows were critical strikes and the rest were blocked. (Well, technically 30% were crits out of 200 attacks. But close enough to put my mind at ease.)

4) I threw together a quick example to show y'all how it works.

The Test:
    Attacker has 100% accuracy and 30% crit rate
    Defender has 0% evasion, 50% block, and 50% parry
    I attacked 302 times with basic melee attack

Expected Results:
    0% attacks evaded (defender has no evasion)
    50% of attacks blocked (50% block rate)
    25% of attacks parried (because it's parrying 50% of the 50% that weren't blocked)
    25% of the attacks hit the target (100 x 50% x 50%)
    30% of the attacks that hit are crits (30% crit rate)

Actual Results:
    0% attacks were evaded
    48% of attacks were blocked
    25% of attacks were parried
    27% attacks hit the target
    33% of the attacks that hit were crits

So there you have it! Not exaaaaactly 100% on the money, but good enough for me to be confident in the current tooltips. You could do a more exhaustive test if you'd like, but that should give you a pretty fair idea of how effective mitigation is in 4.5

Hope that helps!
    -Quill

now quil you only need to calculated the incoming dmg before and after 4.5.
    Means 100% for hit-dmg and dmg-reduced after block/parry with new block/parry-rates.

For me I can say that I am definity on the good side now after 4.5 since over all incoming dmg got reduced that much that I can easily survive leg. erenors.

Wow that's good to know they are sequential now. I'd recommend picking one to maximize at least, if not both. Both have very high damage reduction against geared players. Parry is reducing around 70-80% because it stops crits but the weakness is that it doesn't stop CCs. And block is 33% (multiplicative) stronger than parry and also stops CC which means it is still nearly as good as it used to be.

If you use defense tree you'll want block rate gems too. And if you're getting high block rate, like near 50%, probably don't even bother with parry gems because in that situation you're only parrying half as often as the % says, since the block roll happens first. Without defense tree, block is still decent but so is HP since its universal.

What about Resilience, Toughness and also Damage reductions, when damage hits a player in what order does that damage mitigate thru said factors. ie block- parry- evasion-resilience-toughness-damage reduction final damage received?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast