+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: AA Unchained Monetization Vs Legacy Monetization Trion/Gamigo "What gives?"

AA Unchained Monetization Vs Legacy Monetization Trion/Gamigo "What gives?"

So, since unchained basically gets free and permanent patron status and loyalty, are we going to see any sort of change to the monetization of Legacy servers? I mean we're already paying 15 bucks a month for a sub which offers patron status and loyalty, and you guys are talking about giving Unchained servers some sort of archepasses which I can only imagine is some kind of bonus toward cosmetics maybe its monthly I dunno.
    Yet I'm confused, because all of the monthly subs here are paying 15 bucks a month. Are you going to discount the legacy sub price? Offer more for the subscription, or what?

Cause at this point dollar for dollar, there is no reason to continue subbing to Legacy servers over Unchained, I'm really trying to figure out the logic on this one because it almost seems like you don't want our money? I mean on legacy you're paying for the ability to own land>labor pools>loyalty
    On unchained for a one time purchase you get the ability to own land>labor pools>and loyalty?

So....what gives? Why would anyone continue to sub to legacy servers? Why continue to give you money per month?

If I have something wrong about the idea of the monetization here please correct me and help me understand the difference here.
    Truth:

Trion and XL games hates everything I say because its the truth and stings like fire.
    Exposing the weaknesses in your circuit would send most to react in a way to fix the chain.
    Instead we get to see an awkward teen afraid of its flaws hiding them under the rug.

You present a valid argument.
    Mongoose
    Denistrious
    West
    -Shadow Empire-

Its almost like it feels to good to be true

no tricks no traps

Does anyone think xl/gamego/etc. would put effort into something that will reduce their cash flow?

On legacy apex are a huge cash flow. A subscription brings in $15 (or less), apex bring in $20/month (someone somewhere/somewhen had to buy the apex with cash). If the player also gets the '30 day labor pot' thing, that's a third apex/month ($30).

If the only income for unchained is a one-time 20Euro plus eye-candy-only items from the cash shop plus 'seasonal' things, they're going to have to be pretty expensive to make up for the lost apex.

Given xl's/trion's and now gamego's histories, does anyone think they'd put effort into reducing their cash flow? History shows they only do things to increase their cash flow. Remember, p2w stuff wasn't much in the game at first, and has slowly increased.

My bet is that it won't be long before unchained has the same things money-wise as legacy, but with added 'buy2play'. P2w will slowly be added to the cash shop and seasonal things, and unchained will turn out to be nothing more than a new round of fresh-start, but with 'buy2play' added in. All the old revenue streams will be added.

Fresh start is just a way to get people to pay for what they already paid for -- why make new content when they can get people to pay again for what they already paid for? Unchained will just be a new round of fresh start but with the new revenue stream of 'buy2play', and that fits with the 'don't remove revenue streams, instead add revenue streams' philosophy that businesses like xl/gamego have. They aren't going to put work into reducing their income.

And if someone thinks that they'd make up for reduced income because they'd increase the player base, that's possible but risky -- do you think they'd risk that?

This is the worst fear for legacy players with the opening of AA unchained. Let me explain my hypothesis. New publisher isn't getting nearly in cash shop and subscription sales from current players as expected. Most of us have pretty much everything and they can't resale the same items. This was seen from past months on cash shop: old products like old mounts, pets, and gliders. From a business's view, this is bad as Archeage has no large influx of new and returning players; old players aren't buying enough for the business to be sustainable long term. The extreme solution to this problem would be to hit a big reset button, close down all servers, relaunch Archeage completely with the new business model. All current players will be given a token to rejoin the new servers.

Being an overly cautious publisher, they opted to do things in half-measured. The idea is to allow both models to exist, but we all know where this will lead. If B2P model gives better incentives than f2p/sub model, Archeage Unchained will cannibalize the rest of legacy population. It is definitely a tough time to be loyal players supporting Archeage NA/EU legacy for this long. We have 2 tough choices to make: join Archeage Unchained and forget all your old characters and start anew or stay on legacy for one last ride before quitting because the legacy servers will no longer exist long term.

I hope I am wrong in my hypothesis. It would be appreciated by the players for the publisher to clear up cloud and thunderstorm for the people currently playing legacy servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post

On legacy apex are a huge cash flow.And if someone thinks that they'd make up for reduced income because they'd increase the player base, that's possible but risky -- do you think they'd risk that?
    do you really believe the cash flowing in their faces is that high?
    Dont you think that people just have huge stacks of Apex in wh/inventory?
    I know a friend or 2 that only play housing/farming and they controlled apex prices with their huge stacks of gold.
    Why would they bother risking the money you sugest is being thrown on their faces?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelda View Post

is a trap
    ArcheAge PvP mode activated
    Player vs Potato

I have a similar train of thought here. With the price of entry to get the labor>land that you have to pay $10-$20 monthly for currently, it doesn't seem like there's much reason for people to stick around. I am worried about farmers on Unchained though. What is their new goal? They can't buy costumes, wings, mounts, gear, haulers, off of the AH anymore and it'll be strictly swipe to obtain. If all you can do carebearing is obtain gold that you no longer can spend on frivolous luxury items, what do you spend it on?

The Legacy economy feels alive, and it's appreciated that we can obtain items with gold through the AH, that we'd otherwise have to spend months of loyalty or more real cash on obtaining. Being able to trade everything gives more realism and depth to the game. I think more people will miss this once they start playing Unchained, but the damage will already be done, and Legacy will fall. People complain about P2W, but the reality is that the vast majority of people swiping a couple hundred bucks every here and there are not the best geared. They work long hours and spend some extra cash to keep up with the Jones' who have more time to play/alt, not the Rockefellers who can spend thousands a month and/or run dozens of alts at a time (very few people).

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda Delux View Post
    So, since unchained basically gets free and permanent patron status and loyalty, are we going to see any sort of change to the monetization of Legacy servers? I mean we're already paying 15 bucks a month for a sub which offers patron status and loyalty, and you guys are talking about giving Unchained servers some sort of archepasses which I can only imagine is some kind of bonus toward cosmetics maybe its monthly I dunno.
    Yet I'm confused, because all of the monthly subs here are paying 15 bucks a month. Are you going to discount the legacy sub price? Offer more for the subscription, or what?

Cause at this point dollar for dollar, there is no reason to continue subbing to Legacy servers over Unchained, I'm really trying to figure out the logic on this one because it almost seems like you don't want our money? I mean on legacy you're paying for the ability to own land>labor pools>loyalty
    On unchained for a one time purchase you get the ability to own land>labor pools>and loyalty?

So....what gives? Why would anyone continue to sub to legacy servers? Why continue to give you money per month?

If I have something wrong about the idea of the monetization here please correct me and help me understand the difference here.

Well, its entirely possible they don't have to adjust as well the people expected to stick around will be the people who don't want to lose their current progress and start again. Everyone else will play unchained likley

Quote Originally Posted by Debauchery Tea Party View Post
    Well, its entirely possible they don't have to adjust as well the people expected to stick around will be the people who don't want to lose their current progress and start again. Everyone else will play unchained likley
    nop,
    Im alpha founder and have "decent" gear and IF i repeat IF gamigo comes true to their word i will play AAU
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelda View Post

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast