+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage Tank?

Mage Tank?

Hey there. So i am fairly new to the game but I joined with a group of friends and the intent to participate in all the game has to offer. I started out as a darkrunner but then our groups tank left the game. Now I am our groups tank (primarily pve tank but some pvp). I would like to build a mage tank but am not sure which builds will allow me to tank and still solo for progression when needed. I was thinking Ebonshield but have almost no idea how to stat build as a tank and there are very few tank videos for unchained; let alone mage tank vids. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey man, forget people who say some things are not viable. I've been an hybrid mage/tanky one for a while and i could beat almost anyone in a duel, you just build your skills as you think is best for CCs and still do damage.

If its for pve, thaumaturge is fine i think, you have sorcery for damage, defense for inmune and some healing and auramancy for more tankyness.
    For PvP i wont say what i think is best, but i asure you theres some OP things no one plays because they're not meta. Follow your instincts

It will not be the tankiest, but still tanky. there are tanky mages builds on the web to use as guide. I must warn you though, most strangers won't accept you as tank when they are searching for specifically a tank. But if it doesn't bother you, go straight ahead. Being pure tank is very boring to play anyway

Thanks I appreciate the advice definitely gonna give Thamaturge a shot. Most of the time on my server people are so hard up for tanks and healers they dont even ask about builds anymore just GS.

I have never seen a Thamaturge... i believe most tanky mages are going for Revenant

9.8k mage tank here.

Large scale pvp I 100% go nightcloak or skullknight, pure cc.

Small scale 5-10 people ... skullknight or revenant.

Skill rotation is really on you. But generally its, tele or boon in, implode, hellspears + crows, cc break, target the healer/s vortex/bubble circle to keep them from doing anything. The rest is kinda filler as to what you need at the time.

If its for PvE content then you need not worry much about gear and build to be honest. In fact tanks arent really necessary for PvE aside from certain encounters, which to be honest the raid most likely has a preferred dedicated pure tank anyways.

For PvP though, its a different ball game. Every DPS is running pure builds, pure builds are king currently and dmg is insanely unbalanced. In fact the only role viable to go hybrid are healers. As a tank you'd want to invest in as much stamina and tank related stats as possible. No point in going hybrid 2:1 ratio sta/int attributes or mixed magic dps & tank secondary stats. You'd still likely to get 1-2 shotted.

Jack of all trades is a master of none. PvP tank can be a game changer in group PvP so you'd want to focus on your strengths i.e. pure builds so you can do your job well. Hybrids aren't wrong but they're not optimal, if you're purely doing arena 1v1 then sure, you might find success there but in general PvP, pure builds are the way to go.

Most common magic tanks are Skullknight, Revenant, Spiritualist, Nightcloak. You can start from there. They have different playstyles so you'd want to try em all and see which suits you but the foundation is still the same, your role is CC and to control the battlefield. Guides on how to play these classes help but at the end of the day, you must tailor made a build that you and your friends are comfortable with.

Now what most dont tell you is the price you have to pay. This is not like the old Archeage where you can sell of your int Delphinad set and buy a sta Delphinad set. To swap builds now is extremely expensive and time consuming. If you're on Hiram gear, you'd have to reroll crap ton of stats. Be prepared to burn millions of honor on serendipity stones or diligence. Unless you wanna regrind Hiram set, which is time consuming with all the infusions, gold, labor and awakening scrolls. Library gear is an option however they are for physical/melee tanks, moreover dungeon gear cost 3x more gold to synthesis on top of awakening scroll rarity. That leaves you with crafted gear and crafted Erenor. Crafted Ayand aint easy to get, again they are an extremely expensive investment though more optimal than library gear for mage tanks but still weaker than hiram gear. Finally Erenor, if you can afford Erenor set, you don't even need to create this thread.

Then theres the plate vs leather vs cloth debate. Im an advocate for plate. Best passives for tanks, stack mdef and tank stats but has reliance on auramancy to combat magic. Leather is the safe bet, you can go balance but you'd want dual shields for mdef and pdef. Cloth also works, same path as plate but imo, overall plate has more tanking benefits. That said although currently the meta is ranged and melee, i.e. DR and Ebonsong but it will change in the future when DRs get nerfed and you may see more mage dps like Fanatics(like in KR server), then cloth will be better in the long run.

You can use your current dps gear to tank too but why gimp yourself and your party? You'd have more impactful contribution as a mage dps than a tank in mage dps gear.
    Of cos if you're currently low gearscore Hiram gear than just regrind a Hiram tank set since you're not too far ahead.

+ Reply to Thread